Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Thoughts for the Day

(many of them from people much wiser than myself)

“Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free! Be more like the man you were made to be. There is a design in alignment – the cry of my heart to see – the beauty of love as it was made to be.”

God is love.

And He will not betray you, dismay, or enslave you. (my yoke is easy and my burden is light)

It is so easy on a Christian campus to get caught up in the whole Christian college student thing. You know what I’m talking about. If you are a Christian college student or know someone who is. And I’m as guilty as anyone else - I'm completely describing myself right now.

And if you don’t happen to be or know a Christian college student, I’ll lay it out for you.

I may be texting my friends all through chapel, but I’ll for sure be there, closing my eyes and lifting my hands during the worship just in case somebody’s watching (but of course I'm only doing it for a better connection with God...). It makes me feel good.

I’m going to shut out negative emotions, because I want to encourage everyone around me, and there’s no way I can do that unless I’m cheerful and pleasant.

I’m going to find the good in every situation, because God makes everything happen for a reason, and God forbid it doesn’t make sense to me – I have to understand it all, or my faith is so not as mature as that other girl’s.

I’m going to drive myself completely insane trying to figure out God’s exact plan for my life – searching for His will in every tiny mundane choice I need to make. Because there is only one right choice. I need to be within His will, after all.

I am going to give and give and give and give – it doesn’t matter if I have a project due the next morning, or haven’t slept properly in days. If one of my friends needs a listening ear, then I will be that ear. Unlimited. For hours on end.

“Take every thought and make it captive to Christ.”

“Be perfect, therefore, as He is perfect.”

Those are my mantras.

So, are you following me? Do you see where Bethany was a few weeks ago? Do you see yourself in there?

I don’t think I need to address the first point – enough people have addressed the topic of worship – do we do it because it makes us feel better about ourselves or to give to God – what does it mean to worship – etc. etc. Mark Buchanan describes living as an act of worship in his novel, The Holy Wild. Check it out.

(and I still text my sister during chapel if I’m bored. True confession.)

The other points, though, could use some fleshing out. Later though. I have homework. Be prepared – there will be a plethora of notes coming to describe my thoughts/arguments. I’ve been through a lot this year… have played around with different theological concepts. Have adopted some. Have dropped others.

To make a play on the scripture “the grass withers and the flowers fall…”

Theological concepts come and go, but God Himself is constant. The same yesterday, today, and forever.

And it’s way cool that He’s always there.

So get ready for a rapid fire succession of lessons I’ve learned/thoughts and musings. And in the meantime, check out the Mumford & Sons release “Sigh No More”. It’s good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7TrU4_-JTY

No comments: